Whether you have a tin roof, a tiled roof, or something else, eventually it will wear down as a result of exposure to the elements. Extremes of heat and cold, as well as storms and winds, will all take a toll on even the most durable roofs. This means that as a home or business owner, it’s wise to know what constitutes roof damage so that you can call out an expert to come and have a look.
Looking out for Roof Damage
Roof damage can happen to any property, but older properties are especially vulnerable. If you’re in the market for buying a home, for example, it’s always a good idea to know what you’re looking for in terms of roof damage. After all, you don’t want to have to pay more than you have to for a home where there’s roof damage.
If rain does get into the roof, it can cause all sorts of other problems that may just lead to more expenses. These issues often include:
- Damaged insulation materials
- Damaged electrical wiring
- Black mould growth
- Damage to wooden structures within the roof that can result in weakening
The good news is that Perth roof repairs can help when it comes to the health of your roof, but how do you know what constitutes roof damage in the first place? What should you really be on the lookout for?
Signs That You Need to Call an Expert Roofing Company
Here are some possible signs of roof damage that you really shouldn’t ignore:
- Dripping: It might only happen when you have a huge downpour of rain, but if you ever notice that the rain drops seem to be hitting the top of your ceiling, then you likely have a leak. It could be a cracked or dislodged tile, or a hole somewhere in your roof. The rain water is getting inside and then dripping onto the ceiling. This is a worry because if it has been happening for a while, you could already have damaged insulation and other issues. The rain water has nowhere to go, and so it just tends to pool and cause other problems over time. It gets even worse during a very rainy season.
- Visual signs: It’s also a good idea to take a look at your roof every now and again. Just by looking at it, you might be able to see if there are any cracked or dislodged tiles, for example.
- Water damage: The other sure sign that you have a leaky roof is when you notice water damage. This will most often look like dark brown, grey, or black patches on your ceiling. This happens because the pooled rainwater is seeping through and causing structural damage to the ceiling materials. Black mould is often a consequence of this, and you may also notice a very musty smell in the room.
If you disregard roof damage, it could end up costing you a lot more than you would like. If there are any signs of an unhealthy roof, it’s best to call a roofing company as soon as possible.